Search for Information

Operating Outside of Canada

A Canadian charity may carry out its activities outside of Canada; however, the requirement that it use all of its resources on activities that it carries out itself can be a challenge. There are two common solutions:

  • The Canadian charity can work with other Canadian charities (i.e., Qualified Donees) already doing work outside of Canada.
  • The Canadian charity can send its own employees and/or volunteers to do the work.

A charity could also carry out foreign activities through an intermediary, such as an agent, joint ministry arrangement, or other similar arrangements.

Charities working outside of Canada should make sure that they are not transferring financial resources to non-qualified donees or terrorists. 

Not sure which contractual agreement is right for you?  Use our Contractual Agreement Decision Tree.



Print this page