Our Fall Membership Special is on now! New members can join today and save.

CRA’s IT Modernization Launch Delayed

CRA’s IT Modernization Launch Delayed

Authored by Philip Milley, Associate Director Legal Affairs

Regular readers of the CCCC Bulletin will be aware that CRA will be requiring charities to create and use an online My Business Account to interact with CRA. The online portal will allow a charity to file its information return (T3010) and registration application (T2050), to correspond with CRA, and to access its previous correspondence with CRA.

The intention behind this modernization project, commonly referred to as CHAMP, is to, in part, reduce the administrative burden on charities and allow for more streamlined interactions with the regulator. CRA had aimed to implement the project on November 1, 2018, with the expectation that all charities would register and use the portal by this date. However, CRA has recently announced that the implementation of this project will be delayed until June 2019 to provide for adequate testing to occur.

This delay provides charities with additional time to prepare for the implementation of this project. Authorized representatives should register for a My Business Account at the following link: www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-businesses/business-account.html. Charity leaders should ensure that the contact information associated with the account is correct.

We have been made aware that some charities have experienced difficulty registering for an account. It is important that charities know the identity of the authorized representatives of the charity and ensure that those persons register the account on behalf of the charity. Any difficulty in registering or identifying the authorized representatives can be dealt with by contacting CRA.


Noteworthy is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Every organization’s circumstances are unique. Before acting on the basis of information contained in this blog, readers should consult with a qualified lawyer for advice specific to their situation.

Sign up for Noteworthy today!

The latest updates on current issues involving law, religion, and society, charity law and policy from our Department of Legal Affairs.