- Coronavirus: Inform & Prepare Your Organization
- COVID-19: T3010 Filing Extension & CCCC Resources
- Essential Workplaces in Ontario: What about Churches and Charities?
- COVID-19: Government Support for Charities
- COVID-19: CCCC Advocates for Churches
- COVID-19: CCCC Advocates for Churches – UPDATE
- COVID-19: Ontario Limits Gatherings to FIVE people
- COVID-19: Manitoba Limits Public Gatherings to TEN people
- COVID-19: Ontario PGT Allows Charities to Access Restricted Funds
- COVID-19: Provincial and Territorial Reference Chart
- COVID-19: Options for Corporate AGMs in Ontario
- COVID-19: Corporations Canada Extends Return Deadlines
- COVID-19: Churches, Gathering Limits & Virtual Worship
- COVID-19: Canada Summer Jobs 2020 Expansion
- COVID-19: Alberta Suspends In-Person Meetings under Societies Act
- COVID-19: Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) Q&A
- COVID-19: CRA Charities Directorate Resumes Call Centre Operations
- COVID-19: CCCC Calls for a Matching Funds Program to Support Charities
- COVID-19: Flexibility for Corporate AGMs in BC, Nova Scotia, Ontario
- COVID-19: Accessing Restricted Funds – Clarifications from the Ontario Public Guardian & Trustee
- COVID-19: Re-Opening Plans Across Canada
- COVID-19: A Call to Include Religious Organizations in Re-Opening Plan
- COVID-19: Options for Federal Corporate AGMs
- COVID-19: Privacy Commissioner’s Videoconferencing Tips
- COVID-19: National Survey – Finding the Way Forward Together
- COVID-19: Ontario Allows Drive-in Worship Services
- COVID-19: Private Schools Now Eligible for CEWS
- COVID-19: Canada Emergency Community Support Fund Applications Open!
- COVID-19: Virtual AGMs in Saskatchewan & Manitoba
- COVID-19: CEWS Consultation
- Church Doors Are Opening!
- Ontario Churches & Re-Opening Guidance
- AGM Deadline Extended for Federal Charities
- Charter Rights 101
- AGMs for Federally Incorporated Charities Back to Normal… Sort of
- Alberta Back to Step 1 + Restrictions
- From Shutdown to Shut-In: Ontario Issues Stay-At-Home Order
- AGM Options Across Canada: 2021 Edition
- Provinces Release 2021 Reopening Plans
- Ontario Allows Worship Services to Resume
- Alberta Set to Lift All Restrictions July 1
- BC Eliminates Restrictions on Religious Gatherings
- CRA Hosting Q&A on Canada Recovery Hiring Program
- Saskatchewan Removes All Public Health Orders, Ontario Revises
- Ontario’s New Emergency Order
On May 16, Ontario amended its emergency order to allow drive-in worship services. This brings Ontario in line with other provinces, including Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia which both already permit drive-in services. New Brunswick has guidelines for outdoor religious services and British Columbia has never prohibited worship services, but has had guidance in place since late March for religious gatherings.
The rules in Ontario are as follows, paraphrased:
- Those attending must remain in their vehicle.
- Only one household per vehicle.
- Two metre distancing between vehicles.
- No more than five people conduct the service, social distancing from each other and vehicles.
- The building remains closed, except for reasonable access by those conducting the service.
- No materials can be exchanged between vehicles and/or between those conducting the service and vehicles (i.e. communion, offering).
- The same rules apply, with necessary modification, to those who use non-motorized vehicles because of their religious beliefs.
For more on what is open in provinces and territories across Canada, and for any church-specific guidance, see our blog post on COVID-19: Re-Opening Plans Across Canada.
Church and charity leaders are invited to share how they are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic within their organization in our online community forum The Green: COVID-19 Response Room.
Posted May 17 @ 7:30am
Noteworthy is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Every organization’s circumstances are unique. Before acting on the basis of information contained in this blog, readers should consult with a qualified lawyer for advice specific to their situation.