Corporations Canada recently announced that identity verification is mandatory to access your ISED account (Innovation, Science and Economic Development) and the majority of its online services. It only needs to be done once and has been implemented to enhance security and protection for personal and corporate information.
How to verify your identity
There are six steps to verify your identity in your ISED account:
- Sign in to your ISED account
- Click your name in the top right corner
- Select “update” in the profile box
- Click on “get started” under the yellow exclamation mark
- Verify your identity using one of three methods:
- Interac banking sign-in – supports identity verification through BMO, CIBC, Desjardins, RBC, Scotiabank, TD
- Interac document verification – requires photo of ID (passport or driver’s licence) and a selfie
- In-person at Canada Post outlet – requires government-issued photo ID and proof of address (if not part of your government-issued photo ID)
- Once verified, your ISED account is automatically updated
Federally Incorporated Charities Only
This applies to charities incorporated under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act. It does not apply to charities that are incorporated under provincial legislation or operating as a charitable trust.
What would you file through ISED?
Federally incorporated charities can use the online filing centre to:
- File annual returns (*not* your T3010)
- Update your office address
- Update director information
- Amend articles of incorporation
For more information…
Noteworthy is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Every organization’s circumstances are unique. Before acting on the basis of information contained in this blog, readers should consult with a qualified lawyer for advice specific to their situation.