Honourable Patty Hajdu
Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour
House of Commons
Dear Minister Hajdu,
The Canadian Council of Christian Charities is concerned about your recent policy change on the Canada Summer Jobs program. It is troubling on a number of accounts including the fact that it makes a government benefit subject to agreement with government ideology on social policies such as abortion and sexual norms, upon which reasonable people may disagree.
This is a terrible precedent to be setting at a time when Canada is increasingly multicultural and is espousing greater co-operation among the different religious communities in our country.
The policy comes across to us as condescending. We suspect that it was not meant to be so. However, we do not appreciate the presuppositions being advanced such as:
– That organizations who do not accept the government ideology on abortion and sexual ethics are not in keeping with the Charter of Rights or human rights legislation. This is false. Religious organizations that are against abortion, and uphold traditional sexual norms are not in violation of any law;
– That children need to be protected from such organizations that hold these religious views. This, we must say, is particularly offensive and uncalled for;
– That such organizations do not respect women’s rights because they hold a pro-life position. Again this is false. A pro-life position does not disrespect the rights of women to chose what they do with their body. As a free country we are permitted different opinions. Reasonable people can reasonably disagree;
– That government funding of these organizations is somehow a government endorsement on the religious beliefs of those organizations. This logic leads to an absurdity. Government license to operate a nursing home does not mean that government endorses the religious views of the nursing home owner. Rather, it recognizes the competency of the nursing home to look after those under its care;
– That the law is settled on matters such as “Charter values.” That is not the case. There is a huge debate in the legal community as is noted by a recent Ontario Court of Appeal decision;
– That it is ok to deny religious organizations a public benefit even though they did not violate the Charter or human rights legislation. This is totally unacceptable in light of the rule of law;
– That religious “values” is not a Charter value to be considered when it most definitely is.
We cannot but be anxious when government, by making this policy, has unjustly slurred the reputation of the religious community who hold views different from the government. Such views, they are entitled to hold without government interference.
We kindly request that you revisit this policy in light of our concerns and reinstate the eligibility for the Canada Student Jobs program to all non-profit organizations, including Christian charities who do not hold the same views on social policy as your government.
Thank you for contacting the office of MP Patty Hajdu. This message is to acknowledge that we are in receipt of your email and will be in touch shortly. Please note that our first priority is to respond to inquiries from residents of Thunder Bay – Superior North.
To help us address your concerns more quickly, please include within the body of your email your full name, address, telephone number and the best time of day to reach you.
Please note that your message will be forwarded to the Department of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour if it concerns topics pertaining to the Minister`s role regarding Employment, Workforce Development and Labour.
Thank you for your note and your patience as we respond to a large number of messages.
Patty Hajdu, MP
Thunder Bay – Superior North
- Summer Jobs Program: Further Evidence of The Government of Canada’s Ideological Approach Toward Religious Charities
- Bussey on ipolitics.ca: Trudeau, Trinity Western and the war on religious dissent
- CCCC Open Letter To Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour
- Important Notice about the Canada Summer Jobs Program
- Agree with Abortion or Lose Government Funding! Watch Intersection
- BREAKING NEWS: Government has issued more information on the CSJ Program
- CCCC’s Response To Government’s Supplementary Information on CSJ
- BREAKING NEWS: Live News Conference from faith leaders on Canada Summer Jobs issue
- RELIGIOUS COMMUNITIES CALL ON GOVERNMENT TO REMOVE ABORTION ATTESTATION REQUIREMENT
- Federal Court Refuses Injunction On Canada Summer Jobs
- Government Extends the Canada Summer Jobs Deadline to February 9
- CCCC’s Recommendation in Response to Government Rejections of CSJ Applications
- What the fuss about ticking a box on the Canada Summer Jobs application is about
- URGENT: Watch Live Now Debate at the House of Commons
- Parliament to Vote on March 19 on the Canada Summer Jobs Program
- Canada Summer Jobs Motion is Defeated But The Issue Remains Very Much Alive
- Bussey Op-Ed: Keep your money. Our religious conscience is worth far more.
- Minister Hajdu Says No to Changes This Year
- Minister Hajdu Says No to Changes This Year
- Canada Summer Job Program Heats Up in Time For Summer
- We Need Your Financial Help to Support Litigation Against the Government of Canada’s Violation of Freedom
- BREAKING NEWS on Canada Summer Jobs