Effective Friday June 12, 2020 all places of worship in Ontario could open at 30% capacity.
Initially, the only guidance available was from Workplace Safety and Prevention Services: Guidance on Health & Safety for Places of Worship. You can also find this document on the Ontario listing of Sector-Specific Guidance page; scroll to the bottom and search the table for “worship”.
On June 15, the Ontario Ministry of Health released additional guidance: COVID-19 Advice: Religious Services, Rites or Ceremonies. It contains much more detail as to core elements of religious practice, making it similar to the highly prescriptive and limiting guidance from other provinces. You cannot find this document listed independently on the Sector-Specific Guidance page; it is found on this Ministry of Health site or by a link within the Workplace Safety guidance.
The guidance sometimes conflicts and there is a lack of clarity as to what is obligatory and what is mandatory. This raises many questions about how to re-open. We suggest reaching out to your local public health officials. This aligns with the regional approach taken by the province and can help promote dialogue between church and public officials.
Posted June 25, 2019
- Coronavirus: Inform & Prepare Your Organization
- COVID-19: T3010 Filing Extension & CCCC Resources
- Essential Workplaces in Ontario: What about Churches and Charities?
- COVID-19: Government Support for Charities
- COVID-19: CCCC Advocates for Churches
- COVID-19: CCCC Advocates for Churches – UPDATE
- COVID-19: Ontario Limits Gatherings to FIVE people
- COVID-19: Manitoba Limits Public Gatherings to TEN people
- COVID-19: Ontario PGT Allows Charities to Access Restricted Funds
- COVID-19: Provincial and Territorial Reference Chart
- COVID-19: Options for Corporate AGMs in Ontario
- COVID-19: Corporations Canada Extends Return Deadlines
- COVID-19: Churches, Gathering Limits & Virtual Worship
- COVID-19: Canada Summer Jobs 2020 Expansion
- COVID-19: Alberta Suspends In-Person Meetings under Societies Act
- COVID-19: Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) Q&A
- COVID-19: CRA Charities Directorate Resumes Call Centre Operations
- COVID-19: CCCC Calls for a Matching Funds Program to Support Charities
- COVID-19: Flexibility for Corporate AGMs in BC, Nova Scotia, Ontario
- COVID-19: Accessing Restricted Funds – Clarifications from the Ontario Public Guardian & Trustee
- COVID-19: Re-Opening Plans Across Canada
- COVID-19: A Call to Include Religious Organizations in Re-Opening Plan
- COVID-19: Options for Federal Corporate AGMs
- COVID-19: Privacy Commissioner’s Videoconferencing Tips
- COVID-19: National Survey – Finding the Way Forward Together
- COVID-19: Ontario Allows Drive-in Worship Services
- COVID-19: Private Schools Now Eligible for CEWS
- COVID-19: Canada Emergency Community Support Fund Applications Open!
- COVID-19: Virtual AGMs in Saskatchewan & Manitoba
- COVID-19: CEWS Consultation
- Church Doors Are Opening!
- Ontario Churches & Re-Opening Guidance
Noteworthy is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Every organization’s circumstances are unique. Before acting on the basis of information contained in this blog, readers should consult with a qualified lawyer for advice specific to their situation.