On March 28, 2020 at 7pm, the Ontario government issued a new Order in Council prohibiting organized public events or social gatherings of more than 5 people.
The Order specifically prohibits a gathering of more than five people for the purposes of conducting religious services, rites or ceremonies.
This contrasts with the information CCCC received on March 26 in response to our letter about the ability of churches to use their facilities to produce digital worship services, devotionals, etc. That response emphasized the need to respect the prior limit of 50 people as well as social distancing and other hygiene measures.
Churches will now need to ensure that there are no more than 5 people gathered for the purpose of conducting religious services, even if it is for digital distribution only.
The only listed exemptions are a gathering of members of a single household, and a gathering for the purposes of a funeral service which is limited to 10 people.
This Order in Council must be read along with the listing of essential workplaces. There is no indication that this Order is intended to change the listing of essential workplaces that are allowed to continue operations for those purposes.
Church and charity leaders are invited to share how they are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic within their organization in our online community forum The Green: COVID-19 Response Room.
Posted March 28, 2020 @ 11:20pm
- Coronavirus: Inform & Prepare Your Organization
- COVID-19: T3010 Filing Extension & CCCC Resources
- Essential Workplaces in Ontario: What about Churches and Charities?
- COVID-19: Government Support for Charities
- COVID-19: CCCC Advocates for Churches
- COVID-19: CCCC Advocates for Churches – UPDATE
- COVID-19: Ontario Limits Gatherings to FIVE people
- COVID-19: Manitoba Limits Public Gatherings to TEN people
- COVID-19: Ontario PGT Allows Charities to Access Restricted Funds
- COVID-19: Provincial and Territorial Reference Chart
- COVID-19: Options for Corporate AGMs in Ontario
- COVID-19: Corporations Canada Extends Return Deadlines
- COVID-19: Churches, Gathering Limits & Virtual Worship
- COVID-19: Canada Summer Jobs 2020 Expansion
- COVID-19: Alberta Suspends In-Person Meetings under Societies Act
- COVID-19: Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) Q&A
- COVID-19: CRA Charities Directorate Resumes Call Centre Operations
- COVID-19: CCCC Calls for a Matching Funds Program to Support Charities
- COVID-19: Flexibility for Corporate AGMs in BC, Nova Scotia, Ontario
- COVID-19: Accessing Restricted Funds – Clarifications from the Ontario Public Guardian & Trustee
- COVID-19: Re-Opening Plans Across Canada
- COVID-19: A Call to Include Religious Organizations in Re-Opening Plan
- COVID-19: Options for Federal Corporate AGMs
- COVID-19: Privacy Commissioner’s Videoconferencing Tips
- COVID-19: National Survey – Finding the Way Forward Together
- COVID-19: Ontario Allows Drive-in Worship Services
- COVID-19: Private Schools Now Eligible for CEWS
- COVID-19: Canada Emergency Community Support Fund Applications Open!
- COVID-19: Virtual AGMs in Saskatchewan & Manitoba
- COVID-19: CEWS Consultation
- Church Doors Are Opening!
- Ontario Churches & Re-Opening Guidance
Noteworthy is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Every organization’s circumstances are unique. Before acting on the basis of information contained in this blog, readers should consult with a qualified lawyer for advice specific to their situation.